September 11 Digital Archive

A D D   Y O U R   S T O R Y
Contribute to the historical record

S E A R C H   S T O R I E S
S T O R Y   C O L L E C T I O N S
Collections of stories from
groups and individuals

Go to the main page of the
September 11 Digital Archive

Still Images
Moving Images
Guide to Websites

Stories of September 11

Contributed by: [name withheld]
Contributor's location on 9/11:
Contributed on: July 30, 2007

As I left for work on September 11, 2001 I did not have a care in the world, my only concern was will I have time to stop at Starbucks and get a coffee. As I entered the law firm I worked for the secretary told me a plane had crashed into one of the Towers, I took it as a crash and wondered how that happened. A few moments later my boss turns on the radio and a woman reporter blared through the radio frequency "Oh my God!, another plane just crashed into the other tower!!!!!!!! " and moments later, "Officials have declared this a terrorist attack!!!!!!!" " We are on high alert, please leave Manhattan!" I immediately panicked, picked up the phone and called my mother's office, which at the time was in one of the Towers. There was no answer. I freaked out. An announcement came through the radio frequency that all persons were to leave Manhattan. My boss was so panicked that he did not want to leave the building. We all left after moments of reflection. I went to the bank in case .... I really do not know why I went to the bank, but there was no money in any of the ATM's!!!!!! I went to Duane Reade, purchased a bottle of water and a pack of cigarettes, asked a cop how can I get to Queens and he replied, "You gotta get to the 59th street bridge and walk to Queens, there will be busses in LIC waiting to take you home." Home? I thought, what if I do not have a home by the time I get there? A million thoughts raced through my head; my brother in the military, my mom, the people who passed in the Towers, my family in manhattan, and WHY?!!WHY?!!WHY?!!!! As I was crossing the bridge someone let a bottle of Snapple fall on the ground and we all panicked. I was walking near the rail in case, just in case I had to jump into the water if an attack should take place. It is a day I have never forgotten. There were senior citizens and persons who evidently would not be able to cross that bridge on foot. A group of us stopped various cars and vans to load those who could not walk well or had an impediment. It was very scary. As I walked the bridge I looked at the horizon and saw what once was. At that time the impact of what had occurred had not yet hit me. As I arrived in LIC, the busses were packed so I decided to walk it all the way. I arrived at my home, I had no idea where my mother was and my answering machine was flooded with messages from my brother, family and friends. I put on my Auxiliary Police uniform and did my duty. I thought, if I cannot help my mother, let me help those I can. At ten that evening my neighbor, whom I'd asked earlier that day if he'd seen my mother went to the precinct and told me she had arrived and that she was well. That day New Yorkers showed love, compassion and gave strength to the real meaning of helping each other as human beings. In the present I think of that day and how my mother left a disk that she needed for a presentation at home and returned to retrieve it, that is why she never made it to the Towers and why she is alive today. What a sad day.

Cite as: Anonymous, Story #38614, The September 11 Digital Archive, 30 July 2007, <>.
Archival Information: 599 words, 3035 characters
How do I know that this item is factual?